Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Friday, June 27, 2008

Happiness is a warm puppy




The title of this post is courtesy of an old Charlie Brown comic. I've applied it to our little dog Tuffy many times over the last 5 years.

Tuffy and I both happen to be "side sleepers" so when just the two of us cuddle up for a nap, she stretches out real long, back to back with me.

The first summer we were married Tuffy would sleep in the bed with me very early Saturday and Sunday after Mike left for work. We got into a routine of taking long walks after we woke up. Tuffy LOVES walks. By the end of the summer, as soon as I moved, stretched, even changed my breathing, Tuffy was up, barking, and ready to walk. I started going to bed in the clothes I walked her in so that all I had to do was quick go to the bathroom and walk out the apartment door. We walked rain or shine. Even got caught in a hail storm once!

Mike has cuddled up with her his fair share of times too. I remember the first night he had her. He was delivering a leather sofa (Hom Furniture) that the customer didn't even want. Turns out her elderly uncle had ordered it, but passed away before it arrived. Now the customer was stuck with it. They were also stuck with the uncles little dog. Mike made an innocent comment about what a cute dog she was, to which the customer replied "do you want her?" Next thing you know I get a phone call from Mike saying "Honey? We wanted a dog right?" Not having been really close to a pet before, Mike was thrilled when his new little dog slept right in the bed with him!

Tuffy has been a real good little dog. She is hilarious up at the lake. She marches right over the rocks on the shoreline (pretty heavy terrain for a 10 pounder) to get to the water. She hangs way over the edge of the boat and way too close to the end of the dock. We've got video of her leaping/falling off the dock to get to a bobber last summer. So cute!

She has been real cute with Paige too. When we brought Maggie into the house, Tuffy wasn't thrilled (Maggie's a bully....but sweet in her own way). Paige was very easy for Tuffy to adjust to however. She has been very observant while we care for her. She likes to be in the same room with Paige, even if we aren't. We find her sleeping under the crib sometimes when Paige is in her room. In fact, when I started this post, Paige hadn't gotten up for the day. Was Tuffy next to me? Was she laying in a sunny spot on the floor? Nope. Curled up outside the Baby's closed door. I'm just happy that she's not hopping into Paige's carseat and bouncy chair anymore. :)

Okay, so whats with the trip down memory lane? The Dogs were just in to see Dr. Hammond for their vaccinations, yearly check up etc. We've put Tuffy on heart medication (she's got congestive heart failure and has been uncomfortable for too long). BUT the heart medication makes her pee. SO we've put her on pee medication. BUT she won't take it. SO we have to crush it into her food. BUT she has had a diminished appetite and isn't eating. So, Dr. Hammond recommends blood work and a special diet......because we love her so much its hard to know when we've done enough.

0 comments:

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Back to TOP