Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Friday, April 3, 2009

Does this diaper make me look fat?

A few posts ago I mentioned that we were working hard to get Paige to 'bulk up.' She was on Dr. Dessa's short list last month for falling off the growth chart. After 4 weeks of stuffing her, that little turkey only gained ....5 oz. Sigh.

SO, after our check up it was off the the lab for more blood tests. Really Shi*** thing to have to do to your baby. I'm not in the mood to be clever with my description of that experience.

I really don't want to turn this is to a play by play of our little girl's possibly/probably not that big of a whoop health condition....but I won't lie....I am a little scared. I've spent enough time in the blogosphere to know that there are families whose little kids awfully sick.

At the very least we have more appointments & test results to sit around and worry about...even if all is well in the end. At the very very least, today sucked....hard enough to be thoroughly documented.

So here is what we found out:

The blood work was to look for three possible problems. First, kidney function. A problem with her kidneys could explain her weight loss and other symptoms. Second, Celiac disease. In this scenario, Paige's weight loss/lack of weight gain would be caused by intestinal malabsorption because of a gluten allergy. Third, miscellaneous inflammation. Just checking to see if she's got an infection someplace.

We've also been referred to The U of M to see a pediatric cardiologist for an echocardiogram. This is to rule out a connection between the heart murmur and her other symptoms since they all appeared at the same time.

Paige is doing just fine tonight. Ate all her dinner, walked around the house with her Easter basket, brushed her teeth, tossed out her barbie band-aid, and went to bed. :)

1 comments:

Anonymous April 4, 2009 at 5:36 PM  

Poor Paige!!! She's always so energetic and so sweet that it's hard to believe that she might have a medical problem. I hope you guys are doing okay. Kristina

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Back to TOP